10 May 2010

Better Confidence - The Benefits of Martial Arts

Men are physically stronger than women. Unfortunately, it's a fact and one I've not wanted to admit, until recently when I was forced to. I've always been an advocate of equality, especially between men and women, but in the realm of physical strength, I am unable to make that claim.

The study of martial arts is something that can help empower women against men. I started a form of Kung Fu called Wing Chun in May 2009; the whole principle of the system is that intelligent movement can overcome strength. It takes dedication and practise, because it is about coordinating your body to react in a certain way to threats, but after time, I truly believe that it can give anybody who practises it a greater sense of control and confidence.

Wing Chun

The story goes that Wing Chun was a female nun who helped invent the fighting system for a princess. The princess was supposed to marry a king, but didn't want to, and so proposed that if he could beat her in a fight, he would be able to take her hand in marriage. The nun taught her how to win this fight.

This may be myth or legend or complete poppycock, however the principles of Wing Chun are feminine ones. It is not about opposing force, but redirecting it; not offering resistance but adapting. It is a beautiful and intelligent art that incorporates Taoist principles with basic principles of physics to make an efficient, effective fighting system. If somebody attacks you, Wing Chun teaches you to anticipate it by refining your sensory perceptions; both visually and through touch. It is about training a sensitivity to the movement of others. You will know where your opponent intends to strike and where best to strike them before they get to you. You can redirect the force of an attack easily and in the most efficient way, often by using your opponent's energy against them.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." Charles Darwin

Wing Chun is based on some simple principles, such as protecting your centre, keeping a certain angle in the way you hold your arms, taking the shortest route to a strike, adapting to change and flowing like water.

You have to study physical and psychological coordination intricately. I enjoy it for so many reasons, not least because of my personal interest in Taoist thought, but I truly believe it can enrich your life in so many ways. It is a lesson in discovering yourself mentally and physically. Physically, by giving you a much more heightened awareness and respect for your own body as well as a confidence in mastering it and using it to master others, and psychologically by developing your response to situations of high anxiety and stress. Through it, you learn to master your fears.

In short, Wing Chun can give you the confidence to feel like you could win a fight, and sometimes that can mean the difference in whether someone attacks you or not. Sometimes, looking like a victim can turn you into one. My teacher told a story about a time when he was threatened outside a club, by someone who had picked up a weapon, but because he clearly looked like he was assessing how to defend, the attacker backed off. If they think you'll give them too much of a hard time, they might leave you alone. Unless you come across somebody who is properly deranged, most human beings do not like confrontation, especially if the fight is not easily won, otherwise it is contrary to their own survival mechanisms. Intimidating behaviour is often a front, but for those occasions when it isn't, it helps to have practised some intelligent ways of defending yourself.

Kung Fu really changed my life; I discovered that my emotional and psychological wellbeing depends on my physical self. I take much more care of my body - once I got past beginner grades, I really developed a heightened understanding of what it means to look after myself. I stopped smoking, I eat better and I took up running. I'm much more coordinated and at ease in my body. I got a lot of self-esteem from it.

"Kung Fu's principle aim is to give you the tools to defeat the only opponent that can never be run away from".

I'm lucky enough to train at Cambridge Kung Fu, under Sifu Ross Sargent, with an absolutely fantastic group of people. The classes are relaxed, we often meet socially and talk to each other regularly on Facebook. That said, for those that want to undertake the study of kung fu seriously, the teaching and resources are available and Ross is one of the most inspiring people I've ever met. If you are local to Cambridge, I recommend you have a look at http://www.cambridgekungfu.com/ for more information.

Women's Self Defence

I really feel that martial arts or self-defence classes can help improve the confidence and lives of all women (and men) and would advise everyone to take it up, especially if you have ever suffered an abusive relationship or assault. I personally like to train against men, but if you are female and you don't feel comfortable training alongside men, then women-only classes are available. See http://www.brickhandbag.com/ for an example in the East of England.

No comments: